Every time a Tsunami hits anywhere, all of B.C….well at least the people living close to the shores….begin to sweat. Questions and accusations are peppered at the city officials. “Why aren’t all the buildings up to Tsunami/earthquake code”, “Well what are you doing about it then”…when the answer is inevitably No.
The largest recorded Tsunami hit Lituya Bay, Alaska in 1958. It was a whopping 1720 feet tall wave. That’s just under 5 football fields in lengths.
If it ever does hit the shores of the southern west coast of B.C., there isn’t a whole lot people can do. Hang on? Instead of down at 0 ft. sea level, I’m at 152 ft above.
Where I’m at, I’m not worried about a Tsunami. The biggest natural disaster that scares the crap outta’ me is a fire.
In the spring and summer everyone that lives surrounded by forested areas sweats a little. Then, when the tourists start rolling through, camping in the midst of dry timber with all the campfires going, that gets even more stressful. Every August for years now, the Ministry of Forests places a ban on all camping fires. A bummer for the campers who are looking forward to roasting the mallows and weenies, but a teeny tiny bit less stressful for those of us who live year round in these areas.
But as always happens, there are always a few people that think that law does not apply to them. That’s when we get serious here and sic Smokey on them.
But seriously…..
I would hope that any fire would have been an accident -- but too many are set by arsons.
ReplyDeleteStay safe! :)
Fire is my biggest fear as well...doesn't take much more than a careless flick of a cig on dry grass to destroy thousands of acres...Colleen, I didn't realize the Alaska tsumami was so large...will have to read up on that one!
ReplyDelete