July 11, 2011

My Dirty World.

You try living in a 35’ fifth wheel with 3 German Shepherds!

The fact that this breed is double coated makes it almost twice as bad. They shed their top guard hairs year round, then comes the oh so lovely spring and summer when they shed their soft, fine, downy undercoats as well.

Even my outdoor flowers are decorated with dog hair

There are some local wool spinners that will take the undercoat and mix it with sheep or alpaca, spin it and knit you something from it. I could probably get a couple of full size blankets knit from my 3 year in just one year. Seriously.

My Mum still doesn’t understand the thought process of dog hair.

The door opens, the hairs quickly look up to see what type of fabric is entering their domain, they see the fleece shirt/sweater/slacks she has on and happily leap on board. Maybe I should have a cotton jumpsuit hanging outside for her to put on before coming in?

I do feel lucky that all of my guys love to be brushed. They actually are jealous when one is being brushed and they are not. Or maybe it’s just the whole Mum is paying attention to him and not me. Either way, they will gladly stand to be groomed.

In the normal shedding periods, ( 9 months of the year ) I brush every 3 or 4 days. Though, often I am picking out the occasional clump as they saunter by me. Or if they are calmly sleeping, and I spot a clump, I will saunter over and pickpickpick like a primate will do to another. ‘Cept, I’m not picking out bugs and eating them.

The tools

The one on the left goes first, then I pull out the big gun, the Furminator. That baby is my saviour. If you have a dog, and don’t have a Furminator you are missing out. The amount of dander it seeks and destroys is amazing. It’s a must have.

I’m hoping for sunny skies and warm air today…hope your day is what you want!

4 comments:

  1. we use the furminator on Sal/Sam. a must have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought mine a couple of years ago, Jamie suggested it, sure wish I had bought it sooner. Works like a hot damn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip on the furminator. I have a husky aussie shepard mix and I know all about shedding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a Husky/Aussie/Shepherd mix a furminator would come handy for sure! Wow, that's quite the mix of hairs...must be a gorgeous dog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

Hi back!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...