September 24, 2010

Heart Rocks

10 years or so ago we spent a month in a cabin. Just Jack and I. For those who don't know, Jack was, and still is, what dog people call my *heart dog*. We belonged together. We fit together. A fine team. He passed a few short years ago.

The cabin was about 10 miles out of Salmon Arm . and approx. 75 yards from the shore of the Shuswap Lake. I would look out my window sipping my morning tea, and watch parents of ducklings show them the ropes of their new turf. I could have drifted away for hours watching them float. Watching them dive for new growth weeds, snails and whatever they were eating. Very peaceful and calm birds.

La sigh, I really loved it there.

It was October when we stayed there. Sadly, I didn't have the camera I have now, or any camera for that matter. Sad because the colors I saw there were stupendous. The smattering of reds and golds and yellows across the lake, around the lake, and just all encompassing was grand.

Each morning Jack and I would walk down to the shore and follow the shore line east. Some days it seemed we walked for miles. Not in a straight line by any means, we never did that. That would be boring. I basically followed Jack. And he criss-crossed and zig zagged and just went where his sniffer told him where we were going next. Life was good. Meandering was good.

One morning I found one heart rock just laying amidst the sand stone. Just sitting there, waiting to be rubbed by the water some more. I'd never seen a rock shaped by waters and elements in the design of a heart! Very cool! 20 feet further, another one.


Once I found the first 2 I seemed to find them almost every walk we took. The ones above were found in a lake, the 2 below are from the Fraser River. Huge difference in texture and shapes.


I see heart rocks everywhere now!







6 comments:

  1. Oh, Colleen. I think this is the best post you've ever written. I <3 it. :) Thank you for sharing your heart collection. Me being the owner of two GSDs, I can only imagine the memories you have of Jack. Almost makes me cry. Love you. -- Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks Nancy!

    Hug Sioux and Buck and go make some memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now THAT is awesome! My dh is a geologist so rocks are frequently picked up but it's never been for their shape...... generally when a geologist picks up a rock they're looking for $ signs, LOL

    I'm going to have to start looking at them with fresh eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seek and you will find hornblower!

    I'm sure if I looked for small black square rocks I'd find a million, or round brown rocks the same thing. It all depends on what you are looking for! :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cool story. Especially the first part- finding one , than the other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

Hi back!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...