November 19, 2010

When snow falls, nature listens.

Yesterday I mentioned about Henry and his first time with snow. It's actually his second time with snow, but it's the first time he had to maneuver slippery snowy steps. That's what freaked him out.

The quote in my title to this post was eloquently written by Antoinette van Kleeff.

Yikes....I woke up this morning to no water. It was cold out yesterday, and snowed, so I should have plugged in the extension to the heater tape cord. But stupidly assumed it wasn't THAT cold. Trudged outside, blow dryer in hand, and heated up the house tap and the trailer tap for about 20 minutes each end. Came inside and heard the glorious sound of water trickling. Happy dance!Photobucket
Hey, I was starting to worry about busted exploding pipes and the like! I better get outside after my lunch and insulate both ends of my water supply a lot better than it was.

I rarely see cats behind my home, actually I have only seen one in the past few months. I guess with the menagerie of dogs they tend to stay clear. But yesterday and this morning I have seen 3. And all 3 are stalking the birds. Poor little birds are so intent on scratching the ground for bugs and what not, they become easier prey for the felines. I don't like to disrupt nature, but I think I will have to unless I want to watch bird murders. :) I'll start feeding the birds in the dog run where it's enclosed and the marauding felines can't get in.

This morning I was reading the entries from friends on Facebook. One friend wrote that she couldn't get into her car because the lock was frozen. A friend of hers said, and I'm quoting, "If you get someone to run their car beside yours and hook up an old vacuum hose from their exhaust you can use it like a blow dryer to thaw your door." Now, is that redneck or what??? I guess that friend doesn't own a blow dryer and an extension cord.

4 comments:

  1. That is actually pretty ingenious,lol

    I kinda like watching cats stalk birds and the like,don't like to watch murder tho,uck.I once made Jig rescue a squirrel from the jaws of a cat:)Totally screwing with nature but I couldn't stand to hear it chatter like that.*shudder* Dur saw a magpie and a raven tear apart a
    pigeon today..I'll spare you the details suffice to say it was cruel
    and brutal.Damn animals. You are smart to keep the birdies safe from harm like that.That'll fix those cats! Those are brave kitties with the dogs around,lol

    Your story about Ticket helping Henry yesterday was awesome,everyone here was amazed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the summer, I don't feed the birds, I just figure they could use a little help about now. And while I do appreciate the cats instincts, I don't want to watch the stalking because all I can think of is the bird being torn apart. Poor cold wee birdies. Just came back from the store and threw a bunch of seed in the dog run...whoa there are a lot of birds in there! Oh well, 3 handfuls a day is all I can afford.

    A Magpie AND a Raven? Tag teaming a pigeon...holy crap!

    Yay to Jig for rescuing a squirrel from the jaws of death!! You rock Jig!

    Looking forward to seeing some photos from the art gallery Lael!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With 4 cats in the house, the birds know to stay away from our backyard. I put bird-food in the front garden though :)

    It's awesome seeing my quote actually being used on the www - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Antoinette, how wonderful you found your way here, from your delicious quote! Which I absolutely adore!

    I bow down to your way with words.....

    And your talent!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

Hi back!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...