September 11, 2008

Volunteer Plant...What is it?


This plant appeared in the compost pile a couple of months back. It screamed "I WANT TO LIVE" so live it did! Initially I thought it may be a pumpkin, but nope. Then I wondered if it was a squash?

The flower


The plant....which is about the size of a large grapefruit


Yesterday, when all these photos were taken, was a *do nothing* day for me. I really should have spent the first of my 2 days off mucking out the bathroom ( after bathing 3 dogs in the tub and the shaking outside of the tub, I have enough dog hair to give a bald Woolly Mammoth ). Or I should have cleaned out the oven from the spillage of last weeks Black Bean Lasagna ( omg, what a freaking mess that is!! ). But I did zip, zero, nada fucking thing.

The dogs and I spent the day in the yard, puttering around, chasing thrown balls, wrestling, chasing each other 'round and 'round the shed. It was fun!!

Here's the mountain behind my house at 7:20 pm yesterday. ( Hope Mountain )


A salmon tail end and potatoes steaming over hot coals in my fire-pit in the backyard.


Ticket and Watcher never strayed toooo far from the smell of dinner



It was delicious!


As usual, Frank is found smack dab beside me, almost glued to my leg


And who says dogs shouldn't be allowed on beds? Try telling that to these guys! Ha!


I don't know what the name of this bird is, but it sure is pretty! In a tree in the yard...



4 comments:

  1. Hahahaha,my dog was always allowed on my bed too. So were the nine million dogs who came over. The neighbor dogs would come visit,then disapear..only to be found all piled up in a dog nest of my blankets:)A rotti x,a pitti x and a collie x.
    That's an awesome photo!
    All your photos are awwesome actually;)
    I hope you enjoyed your fabulous do nothing day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That plant sure looks like a squash to me - either an acorn squash or a winter squash.

    Those photos are great. I just got a permit for my firepit so now you have inspired me to actually USE it. Salmon and fire-roasted potatoes, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ms.l, I am a half century young, and NEVER was owned by a dog who was not allowed on a bed. My mother ( who came from rural Winnipeg farm people ) always cringed at our dogs from childhood sleeping with us, but my Dad ( an eastside Vancouver kid ), welcomed the dogs!

    I actually cannot imagine my bed with less than 3 dogs!

    Thank you sooo much for the compliment on my photos. I think I take a trillion and 4 a week. Thank gawd for the delete button! Bahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, Jean, I think it is a squash too.

    When I thought about the building of a fire-pit I was ever mindful of the trees ( and roots ) nearby. Heat from the fire could keep them hot and toasty for days....

    And since my options for exactly where the pit should be located were sparse, I went down to the fire hall and asked the guys there to help me work it all out.

    3 of them came down and helped me figure it out.

    No permit needed....but then I am in a more rural area.

    I have a pit fire at least once a week. For BBQ'ing or just for the glow, and delight of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

Hi back!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...