November 13, 2010

Walkin' The Dog(s)

Where we live we have a multitude of mountain,river and creek walking places. You can't ever run out of somewhere new to go! But what has been really hard to find are flat areas with no obstructions. Obstructions such as low branches and twigs and scrub. With Henry being blind, and young, and as he just crashes and thrashes his way in the bush, I am constantly fretting over him getting his eyes scratched, or breaking a a limb.

There are plenty of flat cleared farmers fields, and I thought a few times of stopping and asking permission to run my dogs, but never did. And if I go a half hour to the east I can find cleared areas, but really wanted something closer to home.

A few days ago I drove past a spot I have driven past thousands of times. It's off of a bi-way that I like to travel instead of the highway....because I hate all the traffic. It's a sand and gravel pit. But not a *pit* in the traditional sense....more of a flat graveled area with mini hill of sand/grave/ and grass. We've been twice and have only seen bear scat once, and no other animal tracks. So I feel pretty safe taking the dogs there.

The dogs all love it and leap out of the Van and race across.



Henry circles back, as he always does, to find me





and overshoots, as he always does






And yay!! this spot is only a few minutes out of town! But I know I'll be knockin' on a farmers door soon enough when we tire of this place.

Heading home, this mountain range tells of the snow that will soon fall. YAY SNOW!!!!



5 comments:

  1. You're so lucky, Colleen, to live sooo far out, LOL! Henry reminds me of Faydi, although she doesn't get far from me, she goes in circles! I call her my "circle dog." Jack, on the other hand, loves to run and play with other dogs, even the teeniest tiniest ones, and he's ever so gentle with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're more than welcome to come out and spend the day with us on a walk Dianne. I'd take you and yours to Flood Falls. Come out next sunny weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you are finding places to take your kids to play. We both know how much GSDs need their run-a-round time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL,clearly they are having a hoot!
    I love their happy faces.
    Your blog is looking fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy, the possibilities for walks are endless, but for a blind dog it can take some searching!

    Lael, thanks, and I too love their happy faces. Henry is a happy boy about 99.9% of the time and Watcher and Tick about 99.8%. Which make sme a happy human! :))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

Hi back!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...