When it was just my boy Jack and I, it was easy to read a book in a day. Or 2 days. I easily went through 2 books a week anyhow. But with a move to larger premises 5 years ago came an increase in yard and garden work. And with the increase in yard space came more dogs. More dogs were a natural progression with a larger yard right? At least in my world it is!
And so, all those things meant a decrease in my small enjoyments. Such as reading a book. But I'm fighting back for that enjoyment.
From this day forward I vow to read for 1 hour nightly. Every night.
I was at a garage sale earlier and picked up a book that I've been wanting to read for eons. "Lonesome" by Chris Czajkowski. Lonesome is a dog. Read about Ms Czajkowski HERE I want to be like her when I grow up. Seriously. Well, okay already, it's too late now...but if I could do it over, I'd want to do it the same as she.
Also grabbed "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff, and it's all small stuff" by Richard Carlson, PH.D. 100 chapters, but each chapter is no more than a page and a half....and it's a small handbook to boot. Examples of chapters: Choose Your Battles Wisely, Practise Random Acts Of Kindness, Ask Yourself The Question, "Will this matter a year from now, Cut Yourself Some Slack. I think I could knock this last book off in a night.
Garage sales are a fantastic place to buy books. I bought both for $1.25. Also grabbed a crate for Ticket for the house. I had 2 but all of them lounge and nap in them ( no doors on them, they are attic stored ) and she needed one she could claim as hers. So now she has a good sturdy X Large Vari-Kennel that was $10!!!!! She curls up so tight she drowns in it, but it is obvious she adores it.
Geeez, I typed that and looked around at them. Frankie is snoring on the linoleum, Watcher is on the stack of blankets, and Ticket is stretched out on my bed. Le sigh.

Ms.Chris was one of the reasons I wanted to live in the Cariboo:)
ReplyDeleteI've read Lonesome and..well I enjoyed it until a certain part
and then that was the end of that,for this soft soul:)
I can't wait to read all about the new books you discover! I'm a big reader,that book by Richard Carlson
sounds really good!
Lael, another friend had read it and recommended it to me. She told me about the part of which you speak.
ReplyDeleteAhhh my heart....tis strong, but I'm sure will break at that point in the book.
If you want the book by Richard Carlson after I've read it I'll send it to you! It sounds like a book that should be read,and then passed along.
I'm jealous of your strong heart!
ReplyDeleteI swear mine breaks every five min;p
I'd love to read that book,that's very sweet of you!