July 17, 2008

April Lai

April Lai is my friend.

April, a gorgeous, senior female German Shepherd Dog, came to live with Jack, Watcher, Ruger and I when she was nearing 10 years old.


Her owner, a senior, became seriously ill, and needed to be with his family for the remainder of his life. And so he reluctantly parted with April ( amid many worries and stress about her ) and he returned to Hong Kong. Her breeder had no room for her ( shame on her!! ) , but April's sire breeder made room in his kennel. She was safe for the time being. But totally out of her element as she had always been an indoor dog. A "lap" dog, so's to speak.


He posted on a show dog list ( as April was a registered GSD ) and made a plea for a family for her. I read it and immediately emailed him, asking about her. I picked her up the next day.

She was a bit wonky on her back end when walking, and more stood and dropped when she needed to lay down, rather than gently lowering her limbs. She was a senior, so I'm sure arthritis had set in, but the 3 weeks she spent on a concrete floor in a kennel didn't help it.

3 weeks into her being here I had her vetted. In my heart I knew the problem. She had Degenerative Myopathy. And a seriously wicked case of it.

We all made sure she had a magical and wondrous last few months of life. April was very much my shadow without moving. Her eyes never left me. She scrouched down and rolled onto her back for belly rubs and inside back leg scratches. She loved those. She had leash less walks in the mountains, and absolutely would have dove right into the Fraser River if I had allowed her to. ( the current would have sucked her to Mexico I'm sure )

She took great joy in creek walking, where she would stretch her neck out and *eat* the water. Not a stick or a ball chaser, but she truly loved chasing the Stellar Jays who so bravely entered *her* domain. She had 2 younger brothers who adored her every move, her every blink, her every smile....and she smiled ALOT.

And oh my doG was that lady ever a talker!! Talk talk talk.....talk talk talk. Talk talk talk. I know her human Dad through her. He was kind and gentle with her, she said, through her every move and nuance. She talked and explained everything to me every step of our short time together.

April was delicious. Her eyes softened me. Her being....her spirit softened me. I am ever so grateful that we found each other. April was adored and loved by her humans, no matter where she lived.

April died 2 years ago today.

I miss you, you most precious being. Thank you baby.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks alot for still remembering April, and every bit and piece when she was with you. I miss her so much and am very glad to see her angel face again on the blog. She's my beloved sister and will live in our hearts forever and ever....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aoril is a HUGE part of my life Nola.

    Ticket,my new German Shepherd, is related to her.

    I'll post about the lineage soon.

    I know what April meant to you, and yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

Hi back!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...