March 26, 2011

Treats! For me!

Yesterday was a bit of a drag. On our normal morning run, just a few minutes into it, Watcher whipped around a corner and spooked a flock of Junco’s. Henry, hot on Watcher’s trail couldn’t see the birds and ensuing panic of them, but he certainly sensed it, and felt it. The feeling part was when one of the Junco’s lost it’s freakin’ mind and flew directly under Henry’s chin.

The fear that overtook Henry was so intense, he flattened to the ground and shook. I kept walking, calling to him in a happy  * life’s a bowl of cherries *  voice. But nuh uh. He was not budging. Ticket went back to him, touched his nose and took off. That is normally enough to get him moving again. But not this time. So we all sat on the ground saying nothing. Just letting Henry catch his breath and mind.

10 minutes later we were off again. But all the way home Henry walked with a lowered body and with not nearly as much excitement. Ohhhh sonuvabitch. I was worried that this may develop into a serious fear of that stretch of our walk,. It happened before….he had the unfortunate luck of stepping into a mud filled hole that went up to his elbows. We now have to walk waaaaay around that spot.
Sometimes, there’s no convincing a blind dog the danger is no longer there. At least, this blind dog.
I left them all pooped out and headed down to the post office to collect the mail. My sleepy little town still has not progressed to door-to-door mail delivery. I kinda’ like it that way. At least a couple times a week I’ll run into people and we go for coffee or over to the park and yak for a bit. I’d miss those moments if we had postal delivery. :)

Anyway, while 9 times out of ten my mailbox contains flyers and bills, this time was different. Along with the aforementioned, It had a card letting me know there was a package waiting for me at the desk. With a big smile on my face I picked up my package and headed home.
Unwrapped the package and there on top was a really sweet card inside of an equally sweet organza *envelope*.

So Pretty!

Digging through the sytrofoam chips I uncovered 3 bars of home made soap! All 3 bars wrapped in pretty paper, tied with pretty string. And each bar had a sticker with my initial. I immediately unwrapped a bar and washed my hands with it. :) Oooh la la, soooo soft….and nice bubbles!

IMG_4111 copy

Thank you to my friend Nancy for truly brightening my day! She has a super cool blog A Rural Journal , where she writes about her life on her 80 acre farm in eastern Nebraska. She has a couple of gorgeous German Shepherds, a whack of chickens, other fowl, a nasty rooster, a bunch of cats, the occasional few cows and a husband to attend to. Whew! I’d take her life in a heartbeat. Except for the husband. Oh, and she takes awesome photographs of all of the above as well as being a craft wizard. Yep, I want her life and her many artistic talents.

Good things continued on in the day. On our afternoon walk, Henry trotted calmly past the horrific-junco-experience stretch of the walk as if nothing happened. YAY!!
Has any of your dogs experienced a fear they just could not get past? Or one that took ages to overcome in the end?

Hope you all have a great weekend! It’s supposed to be rainy and sunny here, which is great…better than rain all weekend.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad everything arrived in one piece. Did I remember to put the Peace Sign necklace in there? It should have been in the pink bag. Oh, I hope so!

    Love ya,

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I guess it must have slipped out during transit. I just took out the styrofoam and there it was on the bottom of the box. Another *sooooo pretty* item! I'm spoiled!

    Thanks Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Henry. That would be a little freaky, a bird (or anything)unexpectedly hitting him in the snauz. So sweet that Ticket nudged him along for encouragement!
    As for fear- my dog Kayla was terrified of Balloons! At my son, Matthew's birthday party when he was little, some of the boys were having a heyday popping balloons. I let them,(even though I hated the noise) as sometimes little boys have to cut loose. It was a loud party and all was well in THEIR world... then, I noticed my Kayla, shivering under the table.
    I felt so bad for her and of course told the hellions to stop! But, forever after that, if Kayla even so much as SAW a balloon, she would shiver & shake. Of course, there were no more balloons at Matthews birthday parties after that incident, but honestly, following that, if we were ever out anywhere and Kayla started shaking,I knew there would be balloons somewhere.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. awwww poor Kayla!!

    I used to blow up balloons, toss them to the dogs and we'd all have a blast. No more since Henry joined us though of course! So no more balloon fun here either. I guess if Kayla hadn't been surprised by the popping of the balloons she would have been fine. Poor wee thing shivering under a table....:((

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

Hi back!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...