A sadist friend has challenged me to post every day for a year.
Whoa.
He said I’ll love him for it at the end. We’ll see if he lives to the end. But, I accept his challenge.
What the eff? How can I have normal vision ( well, normal for a near sighted person who wears glasses ) when I go to sleep, wake up and need, not almost need, but need a serious magnifying glass? What happened?
Normal progression of age…I despise you.
It’s supposed to snow a measly 10-15 cm.’s today/night. Seriously, what’s the point? I hope the snow gods foul up and it blizzards down 100 times that.
But it leaves by Tuesday when I have to drive to the concrete jungle.
I don’t normally feed the birds, but with the snow on the ground it makes it really hard for them to get the food in them that they so desperately need to survive. So I made a batch of winter bird food. Equal parts of seed, either black oil sunflower seeds or just the mixed seed, peanut butter, lard or shortening and any other kind of protein you have at hand. I’ve used finely crushed high protein dog kibble, raisins, chopped apple and oatmeal. It should be the consistency of chocolate chip cookie dough…..either scrape it into pine cones, in the crook of a branch, smeared on a twig or just plop it on the ground.
Uh oh, now I want chocolate chip cookie dough.
Here’s a couple of little buddies enjoying their snack…
And one of a crow. Not sure what’s up with this guy but he/she’s been hanging around since September of last year. He hangs with the murder of crows that live behind my home during the day, but at night, when the rest go to their rookery, he stays behind in the top thickness of a Fir tree a few metres away.
Hope you all are enjoying your Saturday!
Well, if I knew all I had to do was dare you to post every day -- I would have done it a long time ago! I miss your posts during the breaks.
ReplyDeleteYou sure got your crow vocabulary down, sister! Love it! And what is that beautiful bird with the black head and brown wings? It's gorgeous! :)
That sweet wee thing is a Junco. Aren't they pretty! They are not as *jittery* as the other little birds, they don't even seem tooooo fazed by the Steller's Jays.
ReplyDeleteWell, I'm glad you DIDN'T know to dare me. :) The friend who dared me to post every day now better damn well comment every day!
So glad to hear that you feed the birds, Colleen- or, at least help pull them through the icy weather. That recipe sounds so healthy. I have a little crippled blue jay that lands on my deck and I throw shelled plain peanuts to him. I've got a soft spot for birds- at one point, I had 8 budgies. I did not have the heart to cage them in, so they flew free and usually landed on top of the cage. I never realized how different their personalities were, until I had my little flock. They are such lovely creatures, loyal, cheerful and playful. I have one left and I know this will sound ridiculous- if I forget to play with him, he will swoop by me, which signals a game of tag :-)
ReplyDeleteHave you built a snowman with Ticket, yet?
Kim
Kim, I know a lady in Vancouver that has 18 birds flying around free. She used to live in a 1 bed apartment, acquired more birds and bought a 2 bedroom condo to accommodate them. Budgies and cockatiels they were. Makes me smile when I think of her. And now I'm smiling thinking of you and all the birds you had, and the one left. Sooo nice of you to tend to that poor wee crippled Jay.
ReplyDeleteHey, I don't think it's ridiculous at all about the Budgie reminding you to play with it. Birds are a lot more intelligent than we mere humans give them credit for.