February 07, 2011

German Shepherd Escapee

The Beginning…

Approximately 1 month ago, a local SPCA adopted out a female German Shepherd. 2 days after adoption the dog escaped/got loose from her adopters. They informed the SPCA, and the SPCA  took the appropriate measures with the limited resources they have. They sent out staff to see if they could catch her. She proved to be a crafty little girl, and dodged them at every turn.

People in the neighbourhood were concerned, and rightly so. They began leaving food out for her, and trying to befriend her. She ate the food, but chose not to be friends. And, that’s a German Shepherd….that is the way of this breed, they are wary of people they do not know. Oh, they can be friendly, to a point, but that’s it. They are not a breed that makes friends just because a human wants them to..

The Middle…

A well meaning woman started a Facebook page to bring awareness to her. After reading the messages posted there a theme started to develop…..bashing the SPCA. I made my first post at that point. I said that perhaps we should keep the focus on the German Shepherd. I left, went back later that evening to see if the dog had been caught. Sadly, she hadn’t been. And hmmmm, my post had been deleted and I was booted from the group. How weird. I had no way to contact the page *owner* to ask why. Then anyone else who came up with suggestions, other than chase her down and bash the SPCA, was booted and comments were immediately deleted. It became apparent that only people who offered up pats on the back and “oh you are such a saint, an angel” to the person who started the page were allowed to post.

In one breath the woman was setting the SPCA on fire, the next she was pleading for people to allow them to do the work they know best. But, these past few days she’s been gathering a group of people together to meet and catch her. Bizzarro world, to say the least. Through past experience with trapping a stray GSD who had been on the run for near 3 months, it is vital, paramount, that only one feeding station be set out and used. But, nope, not this woman. She has to interfere consistently with the SPCA.

During all this time the SPCA did their job, with what they had available to them. They set humane traps, laden with food, cruised the area and during off hours members were out looking on their own time.

Yesterday I went out to the area with a friend, who had been there previous with another friend,  walking and driving the area to see if we could spot the dog. We didn’t. As she had before, we asked everyone we ran into if they had seen her, but nope. (*unrelated to the dog, I do have a big smile story at the end of this post though!) We each went to our separate homes, checked a few hours later if she had been found yet, and lo and fucking behold, if my friend and I weren't posted on the web page as bat shit insane women who were aggressively stalking the dog. WTF? In reality we were idly and calmly strolling around with one of my GSD’s Ticket, trying to spot her.

Some people just have to be the star of the show don’t they!

The End…

So far, there is no ending to this poor love’s ordeal. I hope it is happy, I hope she isn’t spooked and leaves the area, I hope she isn’t hit by a vehicle while being chased by this group of wing-nuts. Say a prayer, wish upon a star, send her good juju, think positive, whatever you so choose, that this girl allows herself to be helped.

174678_121287201276782_7084063_n

* As we were slowly cruising, trying in vain to spot the dog, we noticed an RCMP car behind us. The lights on top of his car started and we pulled over. ID’s were requested, given, checked and returned. He asked us why we were in the area, and when we told him, he wished us luck and said goodbye. In retrospect, we did look like we were casing out the neighbourhood, skulking out our next *hit*. Driving around in a monster cube van with baseball hats pulled down ( it was pissing rain outside ) did indeed look suspect. Soooo, if anyone in North Burnaby is reading this, you’re RCMP freakin’ rocks!! ( I’m partial to the RCMP as my Dad is a retired member. I love them. )

5 comments:

  1. Keep looking Colleen...you're doing a 'good' job of trying to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping she is safe and will eventually decide to seek help. As for the facebook people ....well, that's another reason why I won't do facebook. While social media has the potential to do good, it seems to me it just as often stirs the pot, spreads rumours, prevents alternative opinions from being heard, and does harm.

    I'll go crawl back under my rock now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a million things (involving millions $$) I could criticize the SPCA on but this is not one of them. The dog escaping comes under the "shit happens" category and the staff are dealing with it the best they can and obviuosly going above and beyond. Unfortunately the longer the dog is on loose the less likely it will be saved. Either it will become too resourceful and independent or it will fall prey to predators like coyotes who will consider it an intruder on their turf.
    @Jean - Rather than shy away from social media I find it's best for critical thinkers to become more involved and shoot down the bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That breaks my heart to think of this poor girl out there lost and probably scared.

    So good of you to look for her. I do hope this story does have a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not actively looking for her. I can't. It's approx. 150 k's from my home. I've just been out the one time. If I had the funds though, I would park my 5th wheel down there and do that.

    Tons of lost dogs out there, I know, but being it is my heart breed, it shakes me to my very core.

    I do have faith though. She remains in her safe zone. She apparently looks okay considering. Now if all those well meaning people could just back the eff off and leave it.....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

Hi back!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...